Thursday, May 18, 2006

eHarmony Rant

Now I'm not dissing the eHarmony service itself, because obviously I'm pretty happy with my eHarmony experience so far, but I just need to vent a little for a moment.

I have previously posted that I has, thus far, received 83 matches from eHarmony. Well, that number inched all the way up to 98 before I finally switched off the matching function last Friday, May 12. I'm not upset that I've gotten so many matches, in fact, it's somewhat encouraging to think that there are that many people out there (only on the internet even!) who are deemed "highly compatible" with me. The thing is, ever since I switched off the matching function, I feel like the website is upset with me. Every time I log on, instead of going to the "My Matches" section, it automatically redirects to the "My Settings" section. I feel like it's saying, "Hey there! What's the matter with you? Don't you want more matches? Do you want to die alone?" I know it's just trying to be helpful, but JEEZ!

The problem is, no one can focus on that many people. In fact, since I started getting excited about Tall Guy (!!), I stopped caring that much about the other guys I was talking to anyway. (still haven't heard from Writer Guy or Grad School Guy, btw) So why are they badgering me to get more matches? I turned the matching off once before, only to reconsider when the site guilted me into switching my preferences back to "on". Then I changed my requirements from worldwide matching to matching within 60 miles of LA. Still, I received almost 10 more matches in 3 or 4 days before saying "enough is enough!" and turning matching off again.

So, eHarmony, I like you, I really do. We're having a pretty good working relationship so far, I have very few complaints. But you are NOT going to talk me into accepting more matches right now, I can't handle it! You may try to influence me with that "My Settings" screen 10 times a day, but I'm not going to give in.

Lyrics
"We're not gonna take it, no we ain't gonna take it. Oh, we're not gonna take it anymore." Twisted Sister We're Not Gonna Take It

No comments: