Monday, July 03, 2006

Let Downs

I'm pretty sure this post is going to be a serious let down for anyone hoping for another dose of my usual weekend insanity. This weekend I did...

Pretty. Much. Nothing.

Friday night I watched a little TV with The Sister and went to bed insanely early. I was rudely awoken at 7:00am on Saturday by the pager, so I ran into the hospital for a very tough patient. I managed to complete the study in time to hike Runyan Canyon with The Sis in stupidly ridiculous heat. We nearly died of heat stroke, but made up for it by going out to the beach.

Now I just have to interject on myself here. Where has etiquette gone? I seriously cannot believe the way that some people behave in relation to other people. The Sister and I went to a beach up the PCH called Topanga. It's a fairly unknown little spot, so it's nearly all Malibu locals and savvy LA residents. It rarely gets packed for this reason, so it's a good place to go if you like your personal space. Or so we thought. At some point, a family with three small children arrived and after surveying the ample available sand space, they decided to park themselves three feet from our heads. We spent the rest of the afternoon cursing our bad luck and debating the rudeness factor of blantantly moving our blanket. In the end we suffered the crying, running and sand kicked all over us in favor of remaining discrete. But, come on people, couldn't you have moved just a few feet back??

Saturday night I went to meet Kenny Flask and some friends at the Saddle Ranch (I can't believe how often I've been there lately, but this trip solidified my resolve to stay out of there on weekend nights - WAY too overwhelming, even on a holiday weekend). I got there late and ended up getting paged back to the hospital 20 minutes later. But in the meantime, I did get to see two girls ride the bull in skirts, and saw a particular frosted blonde and Extra-Tall Guy standing across the bar. Funny what a small town LA always ends up being. But as I had to make a quick getaway, I didn't have a chance for an embarrassing encounter. Then, I went to the hospital, and managed to run out of gas on the way home. I haven't done that since college and the timing couldn't have been worse. It was 1:00am and I was on-hold with AAA (I was nowhere near a gas station) for 25 minutes, during which I fell asleep. When the finally answered, had to wait another 30 minutes for the driver to show, so didn't make it home until almost 2:30, by which time I was completely exhausted.

Sunday I did even less. I made a half-assed trip to Melrose with The Sis in the interest of shopping, but neither of us was really in the mood. I had called McDreamy on Saturday evening, with no answer, but he called me back just as The Sis and I were leaving Melrose.

I am sad to say, that I think McDreamy is going to be a dud. There was just something lacking in the conversation, and I don't see this turning out well. I'm still going to go out with him, probably next weekend, but it may only be one date. I don't know if this will make sense to anyone, but he loves chain restaurants. I'm not completely against them or anything, but I feel like a love for chains represents a certain lack of imagination and adventurous spirit. *sigh* I could be wrong in being so pessimistic, but I don't think that I am.

I owe emails both to AlienSpider and Mr. Hawaii, which I'll get to today. I'm sort of talking to a slew of people on eHarmony, but none of them are very interesting at this point. My membership for eHarmony is up on the 20th, and I'm not going to renew. Aside from Tall Guy, I haven't met anyone else on the site, and it just doesn't seem to be the dating demographic that I'm hoping for. There are an inordinate number of Asian scientists on eHarmony, which is interesting to me. Is there a secret fraternity and they all decided to sign up together?

I apologize for the lack-luster entry today. I'm over-tired and over-caffeinated (I'm about to jump out of my skin, in all honesty). Tonight I'm hitting a huge beach party in Manhattan Beach with The Sis and the Bodega crew. I'm off-call tonight, my only night off in this holiday weekend, so I'm hoping to use it to the fullest. Tomorrow I'm on-call, but The Sis and I are hooking back up with the Bodega crew in Venice for a bbq party at someone's house. Maybe at one of these functions I'll meet me an eligible bachelor. Or at least someone good for a little holiday fun.

Happy 4th of July!

Lyrics of the Day

"That's when I know that I have to get out 'cause I have been there before. So I gave up my seat at the bar and I head for the door." Counting Crows Mrs. Potter's Lullaby

1 comment:

LB said...

I wish I knew about more of them - but if you're looking for celeb sitings, apparently Runyan is the place to go.