Wednesday, July 05, 2006

The Sea Was Angry That Day

So Monday ended up not being a bust at all, and actually turned out to be a hell of a good time. After I finished up (again) at work, The Sister and I decided to man-up and go out to the beach party. By the time that we got there, the beer was gone, so we picked up a bunch as a way to make friends. There were literally hundreds of people crowded onto the beach, in various states of drunkenness. We had a great time until the cops came down to disperse the stragglers and we all moved to a house just up the street and continued the party.

This was my only night off all weekend, so I was letting loose, and The Sister was in the mood as well, so we were quite the life of the party. I probably couldn’t tell you the name of a single guy that I talked to all night, but I know I did talk to a bunch. The Sis and I ended up really being a hit when we decided to do … keg stands. I hadn’t done a keg stand since the 4th of July (coincidentally) 1999, but it seemed like a good idea at the time. I have to say, I was a champ. Eventually, The Sis and I got tired and decided to call it a night – with a very foolish trip to Denny’s. Once again, we stuffed our faces late-night with all sorts of horrible grease that we didn’t really need, but dang did it taste good at the time. Eventually we made it home and passed out.

We awoke on the 4th feeling less-than-fresh. I got paged at about 9, so we got up and I came to work and got that out of the way, praying that it would be the only time that I had to be in the hospital that day. We then blew off all our intended early day plans and sat on my couch until about 2pm, watching the worst movie I have ever seen, Must Love Dogs. This is actually an appropriate interjection: this movie is about internet dating – sort of. It stars John Cusack, a longtime crush of mine, so I thought that I’d at least like to see it because he was in it. Boy, was I wrong. The moral of the story is that internet dating is for losers, but if your sister just happens to make up an online profile for you or your friend forces you to go out with some chick he found online, then it’s sort of okay to do it. It made me a little ill, and was the most excruciatingly awful thing I’ve seen in a very long time. Think of the worst movie you’ve seen in the last 5 years. I’m pretty sure I’d rather watch that one twice than have to watch Must Love Dogs again.

For the afternoon, we had a barbeque down at Venice beach to go to. The head cook at Bodega has a great little place right off of the beach in the nice part of Venice and he was throwing a smallish party. It turned out to be a great time. We ate (what would you expect at a chef’s party besides GREAT food?), drank (though I hardly drank, as I was on-call), and laughed our butts off. The Sister left around 7, to go meet the Bartender; Jam, Cheese (one of the owners of Bodega), Bob Sugar (as in: the Jay Mohr character in Jerry Maguire) and I decided to go swimming in the ocean. It was amazingly warm and we had the best time.

On the way back from the water, Jam couldn’t stop saying “The sea was angry that day” and she decided that was her new catch phrase. For some reason, that just doesn’t stop being funny. Then we eventually congregated on the beach to watch the fireworks. We could see the Marina Del Rey show and the Santa Monica Pier display, so we split our attention, though the MDR show was much better. After that, we called it a night.

I don’t think I’ve mentioned this before, but there’s a little something between Cheese and I, and there pretty much always has been. We spent a lot of the night hanging out last night, and did a little cuddling at the fireworks. It’s a little bit of a story, so I’ll save it for a separate post.

Pictures will be forthcoming, I just didn’t have time to upload anything between last night and this morning, but I do have some shots to share.

Lyrics of the Day

“It's the same on the weekends as the rest of the days and I know I should go but I'll probably stay, and that's all you can do about some things. I'm trying to drink away the part of the day that I cannot sleep away.” Modest Mouse Polar Opposites

No comments: