Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Shopping at Wal-Mart

I know that I’ve been quiet about my internet dating for a little while, and I think I had better be honest with you: I’m losing enthusiasm. I met more guys that I was interested in, and saw more action, in the 10 days I was in Montana than I have in the four months of this little experiment. I’m not sure how much I’ve talked about this so far, but I’ve always felt that LA was the wrong place for me to find a guy. I like a man who is really a man: he can fix things, chop wood, finish any food that I leave on my plate, pick me up and throw me over his shoulder on a whim, spends less time in the bathroom than I do, goes to a barber instead of a stylist, and other such measures of masculinity. Sadly, many of the men in LA are lacking all of the above attributes. Let me put it this way – LB looking for a S.O. in Los Angeles is like trying to buy organic produce at Wal-Mart:


I’m just shopping in the wrong store.

The men in Los Angeles are, traditionally, just not what I’m looking for. This dating almost feels like an exercise in futility, like banging my head against a wall. I was thinking that in LA, maybe 1 of every 10 guys I meet has the requisite qualities for me to be interested in him. But if I lived somewhere that was more populated by the kind of men that I’m attracted to (Montana, Washington, Oregon, Colorado), then 8 or 9 out of 10 men that I met would be possibilities. Playing the laws of averages, I’m really screwing myself by staying in Southern California.


See! In Montana I could end up with that guy there, or that one over there, or there, or there…

This is not to say that I’ve given up entirely – I’m still following through on leads and have a couple more dates coming up. I’m going to go on Date #3 with AlienSpider tomorrow night – though I’ve lost a lot of interest in him for reasons that I never really discussed here. I’ll cover them when I report on that date. And sometime next week I’ll have that rescheduled date with Mr. Hawaii, who ended up not having to make that life-decision that cancelled the date last time. I’m ashamed to say that I was hoping he would have to make that decision and that the result would be his moving out of LA for a better opportunity. See, it would have served two purposes: he would have had a great new opportunity that could’ve meant great things for his career and I wouldn’t have had to make that To Date or Not To Date decision with him. But alas, I am forced by the Gods of Fate to man-up once again.

Lyrics of the Day

"I have run, I have crawled, I have scaled these city walls, [these city walls] only to be with you. But I still haven't found what I'm looking for." U2 I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For

No comments: