Friday, December 29, 2006

A Popularity Contest

I don't know if I've really talked about this much in this forum, but throughout my life I've had a few periods of fairly low self-esteem.

I know this can't come as much of a surprise: what girl hasn't had her maudlin everybody-hates-me-and-I'm-ugly teenage phase? But my periods of low self-esteem were lengthy and unfortunately came at pretty regular intervals during the first 24 years or so of my life.

It is only in the most recent years that I have truly started to get past many of my insecurities and this has been more and more to my romantic advantage lately. For anyone who doesn't yet know this: there's nothing more attractive to the opposite sex than confidence.

By far, the most entertaining thing about my trip home for Christmas was the reaction I received from people I went to high school with. I am finally past the age of dreading running into said people and at a place in my life where I genuinely enjoy seeing them again and catching up - even if we weren't really friends way back in the day. But to have to actually re-introduce myself on more than one occasion, and to hear "Wow" as the response more often than not - well, that's a whole new ballgame folks.

I don't know if it's that I actually look that much different than I did in high school (though a radical hair-style change does have an effect) or if it's just that I'm a much (MUCH) happier person now, but I got quite a kick out of people's reactions to seeing me this time around. Being hit-on and/or propositioned by three or four different guys didn't hurt either.

I never would have guessed that at this point in my dating journey I would be getting more attention off-line than on!

Lyrics of the Day

"I just can't wait 'til my 10 year reunion, I'm gonna bust down the double doors and when I stand on these tables before you, you will know what all this time was for." John Mayer No Such Thing

No comments: