Wednesday, October 25, 2006

Misty and Watercolored

When I was growing up, we didn't have a lot of money. We wore second-hand clothing and shopped at garage sales and most of our groceries were of the generic brands. A particular thing that we ate a lot was fried bologna. Basically, you put a piece (or more) of bologna in a frying pan and cook it. Then you eat it. Mmmmm, yummy.

Years later, actually probably not that long ago, the subject of the fried bologna came up between The Sister and I. She revealed that she had always been convinced that we had to eat fried bologna when we were growing up, because that was all we could afford.

Okay, the budget was tight, but it wasn't like we were destitute. We never actually wanted for anything, we always had winter coats and Christmas gifts and plenty of food to eat.

I had to tell her the truth. The real reason that we ate fried bologna all the time? My dad loved the stuff. Frighteningly, he still does.

Occasionally I go home for holidays to the oh-so-familiar smell of fried bologna.

Lyrics of the Day

"Well I guess this is growing up." Blink 182 Dammit (Growing Up)

5 comments:

Cynthia said...

I haven't had fried bologna in forever, but it is good. I just bought some of the fat free stuff and my love of bologna began again. Mmmm. . . so good.

Unknown said...

I love fried bologna...*drool* I haven't had that in years!

Sharon said...

Oh, man... fried bologna... the aroma of childhood.

Anonymous said...

Um, and Scrapple???

Yours in loving anything your mom cooks,

The Gal

Wide Lawns said...

I had fried bolgna too! I remember it would curl up like a little bowl, and my mom always cut a slit in the side because she thought it made it curl less, but it ended up looking like a pac man, and it still curled. Wow. I thought we were the only fried bologna family. And scrapple! We had that too! A revolting mid-atlantic specialty. I refuse to eat it as an adult, but it does smell good.