Thursday, September 21, 2006

Lights, Camera, Action


Last night I went to the premiere screening of my friend Flip's new movie. It's not his first movie, but the first major release where his acting talent is really showcased. We had a nice crowd: myself, Flip's parents and brother, a few of his other friends, his roommate, and his third grade teacher. Flip invited his third grade teacher because she was the first person to ever give him an acting role. If that doesn't break your little heart, I don't know what would.


Strangely, even after all of my years in the entertainment industry, this was the first large screening of this type that I had been to. It was surreal on a lot of levels. I sat there in the darkened theater, slowly getting sucked into the world of this movie (it's of a genre that I am a complete sucker for), yet knowing that that guy on screen is one of my dearest friends and sitting just a couple of seats away. I mean, I've seen him on screen before, but this was just somehow more real. Flip was fantastic, by the way.


After the film there was a cocktail reception downstairs. No longer having any desire to be a Hollywood schmoozer, I found the elbow-to-elbow crowd intimidating. But I managed to hang in there, have a couple glasses of free wine and chat with Flip's family and some of his friends that I don't know very well. Two of the friends are very cute and I've met them on previous occasions. What do they do, you ask? Actors.


I don't think I can stress enough what a problem this is for me. I have been burned so badly by actors in the past that I no longer have any desire to date another one as long as I live (with the exception of George Clooney, of course); yet I can't seem to find myself attracted to anyone else. I have got to start finding new places to meet people. Some people just do it so easily, case in point: Flip. He went to Armani to get fitted for a suit to wear to the screening and landed himself a date with the girl that did the fitting. Just like that. Abracadabra.


I did, however, receive a marriage proposal yesterday. I would be seriously tempted to accept if it weren't for the following complications: 1. He's a doctor at my hospital 2. He has children that are older than I am 3. He's had a heart transplant, but even the donor heart is nearly old enough to be my father 4. He's 75 5. I have no desire to start being referred to as Anna Nicole Smith.


But hey, it's a step in the direction of my goal of marrying a fantastically successful dermatologist and living the rest of my life as a kept woman.


Lyrics of the Day


"What I give to you is just what I'm going through. This is nothing new, no no, just another phase of finding what I really need is what makes me bleed." Damien Rice Volcano

No comments: