Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Another One Bites the Dust

Last night I was laying on my couch, preparing to catch up on a little TV before heading off to bed at [the obscenely early hour of] 9:00 pm when my phone suddenly rang. It was my friend Red, who I had just spoken to on Monday and wasn't expecting to hear from for another few days.

Red: "You have to help me."

Me: "Of course honey, what's going on?"

Red: "I'm about to go on my very first internet date!"

Me: "Holy crap!"

You see, Red is just a little bit older than I am and had yet to give in and jump on the Internet Dating Carousel of Fun™. But at some point this summer, she decided to give eHarmony a whirl. She had met a few promising guys, but then started dating someone that she met offline. That relationship just came to an end, so she thought she'd check in on eHarmony world and lo and behold: there was a guy that she wanted to date just waiting for her to say the word.

She filled me in on all of this on Monday, so naturally I figured that there were still a few days for her to relax before she would have to bite the bullet. Not so. He called, they scheduled, he was on the way to her house at that very moment.

Me: "Just be yourself. It's just like talking to a guy in a bar, except you know a little more about him. And you're really good at talking to guys in bars. You're my hero."

Red: "I've just never done this before. I'm so nervous!"

Me: "You'll be fine, just ask him questions and don't talk about yourself incessantly and if it clicks, it'll click."

Red: "Oh my gosh, hang on!"

She clicked over to the other line, presumably to hear that her date had arrived.

Red: "He's here! Here I go..."

Me: "Good luck!"

She promised me an update, hopefully today. I'm not sure that I even remember the very first internet date that I went on... no, wait, yes I do. But that's a story for another day...

Lyrics of the Day

"So special, but it hasn't happened yet. You are gorgeous, but I haven't met you yet." Bjork I Miss You

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

So, how'd it go? Let us know when you know.

The Gal

LB said...

If you can believe it, she hasn't even told me yet! I'm making it my business to find out TODAY.