Monday, January 15, 2007

Complacency

Every Monday I hate myself for coming to work all exhausted and sometimes mildly hungover.

Every Monday I swear that the next weekend I'm going to lay off the highly caffeinated beverages and/or alcohol early in the day so that I can truly get a good night sleep and be bright-eyed and bushy-tailed for the next busy Monday morning.

Every Monday I marvel at how stupid I must be to be doing this over and over and over again.

And yet, every Sunday, I can't help but perpetrate my cycle one more time.

With it being the football playoffs this month, I've spent a good chunk of the last two weekends in front of various TVs in various places glued to some really exciting game action. But I'm always paying for it on Monday morning.

Today I'm thinking about boys. Boys and dating and the future. You see, I'm starting to feel like a short-timer here, because I'm really hoping to move out of LA in the near future. Knowing that I'm going to be leaving soon does two things: it gives me lots of hope for future relationships and dating experiences in friendlier dating pools and it makes it pretty dang difficult to focus on trying to meet anyone here in this City of Lost Cause Dating.

I do have the date-type-thing with Montana Guy looming on Wednesday night, but I'm not even sure I find him attractive, so it really could add up to nothing but a couple of hours feeling homesick.

There is another reason that it's becoming ever-easier for me to be complacent about dating.

It's The Kid.

When you have a fairly regular source of no-pressure, no-worries male affection, it's hard to want to get off your butt and do all that horrible date-y stuff. It's so much easier to hang out with someone that you already know, even if you don't have particularly romantic feelings for him. And right now what's going on with The Kid is just so easy, it's hard to want to do anything that takes any effort at all.

Lyrics of the Day

"I'm calling out; I don't really care for your city anymore. I spend the night; I lay awake and miss you when you go." Tegan & Sara Monday Monday Monday

No comments: